Lots of French words and specialized terms are used in a French label wine. What do they mean?
- “Millésime” Vintage
- “Grand cru” – “Premier cru”*: Expression related to the quality of a wine, reserved to wines with AOC (protected designations of origin) defined by Decree and based on specific conditions of production.
- “Clos” indicates a winery or estate of small area usually with wall, an « estate of quality » even« a dignified establishment»
- “Château” is a traditional protected denomination at European level. The wine from the winery is exclusively produced from grapes harvested in vineyards exploited by that winery and the winemaking is done at the same place. It means that the grapes grew, were harvested, were fermented, put in bottle, and sold in only one place called “Chateau”.
- “Appellation d’Origine Controlée” (AOC): controlled designation of origin
- “Terroir” What does this typical French word mean?