The Bourgogne Wine Board (BIVB) has launched a new interactive cartographic tool called “Bourgogne Maps.”
This online map library was developed in partnership with the French National Institute of Origin and Quality (INAO), the French government agency charged with overseeing France’s geographical indications policy. INAO provided the data from individual land plots of wine country, collected as part of its mission to precisely demarcate the geographic zones of production under appellation.
Bourgogne Maps today maps all the protected designations of origin for wine in the French déparements of Yonne, la Côte d’Or, and Saône-et-Loire at a high level of detail, since all 84 geographic appellations of the area are represented, plot by plot, from the Régionale designation to the Grands Crus. The tool even allows users to locate individual wine domaines by appellation.
Three ways of searching:
- By French commune (municipality)
- By appellation
- By level of appellation
You can also:
- Visualize an appellation’s climates and vineyards
- Find a list of estates and wine merchants by sector
- Explore different wine-related festivities throughout the year
- Access additional information about each appellation including texts and photos
- Download or print maps directly from the platform
For more information, check out the site of the BIVB (some information is available in English) here: https://www.bourgogne-wines.com/mediatheque/bourgogne-maps,3181,15261.html, and the map website here: https://bourgogne-maps.fr/